Emergency crews were in the 1500-block of Vidal Street in White Rock the evening of Nov. 28, for an apartment fire. (Garry Wolgemuth photo)

White Rock fire started ‘less than an hour’ after resident left: chief

Unattended incense sparked apartment blaze

An evening fire that displaced residents of a Vidal Street apartment building’s top floor last week was caused by unattended incense, the city’s fire chief has confirmed.

And while it wasn’t intentionally set, the incident is a reminder of how quickly something can get out of control, Phil Lemire told Peace Arch News Wednesday.

When building alarms triggered just before 6 p.m. Nov. 28, “the resident had been out for less than an hour,” Lemire said.

The fire occurred in one of four fourth-floor units at 1520 Vidal St. Residents were quick to evacuate, receiving assistance at the scene from both the city’s emergency social services team and residents of the neigbouring Beverley complex.

The following day, deputy fire Chief Ed Wolfe told PAN the quick response of residents who alerted firefighters, and of fire crews that responded, averted a much bigger problem.

The fire was “very close” to expanding beyond the one unit, Wolfe said.

“It never vented out a window, but it was just at that stage where it easily could’ve,” Wolfe said. “I have to give full kudos to the first arriving crew, they did a great job to contain it.”

The other three top-floor units suffered smoke damage in the incident.

Lemire agreed the quick actions of all “for sure” had a positive influence on the outcome.

He said residents of the smoke-damaged suites are estimated to be displaced for “a couple of weeks” while the contents and the units themselves are cleaned.

Residents of the unit where the fire started will “be out of their suite for a considerable period of time.”

tholmes@peacearchnews.com

Just Posted

45-year-old ID’ed as victim of South Surrey stabbing

Delphin Paul Prestbakmo died at the scene, near 18 Avenue and 152 Street

Support granted for NatureKids

Program provides opportunities for youth and families to learn about and enjoy the outdoors

Puppy rescued from smoky South Surrey condo

Fire alarms brought firefighters to the Morgan Crossing residences around 7 p.m. Thursday

Volunteers help remove invasive plants from Surrey park

Environmental groups can be a ‘stepping stone’ for future career

UPDATE: Arrest made in early-morning stabbing death in South Surrey

Police say victim was found just after 3 a.m. and incident is ‘not believed random’

Fashion Fridays: How to dress and feel powerful

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Kraft Heinz brand baby food recalled in B.C. due to possibility of insects

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the product should not be consumed

First Nations women finally to be treated equally under Indian Act: Bennett

Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action thanked the feds

‘Easy Rider’ star Peter Fonda dies at 79

Actor and writer was nominated for an Oscar for co-writing the 1969 psychedelic road trip movie

Bob Lenarduzzi out as Vancouver Whitecaps president

MLS team is at the bottom of the Western Conference standings

B.C. daycare operator denies negligence in death of ‘Baby Mac’

Infant died in early 2017 after biting an electrical cord, according to a lawsuit filed by his mom

BC SPCA reopens animal cruelty investigation at Abbotsford pig farm

Additional alleged footage released from Excelsior Hog Farm sparks new investigation

Donor upset no one noticed B.C. school’s sculpture had been missing for a year

Agassiz’s Fraser River Lodge owner baffled how theft went undetected

Purple fentanyl among items seized in B.C. drug bust

Youth being recruited as drivers for more-established drug dealers, police say

Most Read