The scene of a possible ammonia leak in Cloverdale on Oct. 30, in the 17500-block of 65A Avenue. (Photos: Shane MacKichan)

Cloverdale

No one hurt after suspected ammonia leak in Cloverdale

Surrey Fire Service says only one building was evacuated, and ammonia levels were not dangerously high in the area

Surrey Fire Service says no one was hurt after reports of a “possible ammonia leak” in Cloverdale Tuesday.

The call for Surrey RCMP to respond came in around 2:35 p.m. and the suspected leak was in the 17500-block of 65A Avenue.

David Burns, assistant chief with the Surrey Fire Service, said a business in the area reported a possible leak, and their alarms went off.

Employees then evacuated the building and when fire crews arrived, a HAZMAT team entered the building to assess the situation.

“Staff felt they shut off the affected system when they evacuated so our crews went in to ensure they did,” said Burns. “The ammonia levels were very low when crews entered.”

Burns noted the ammonia was “pretty much contained to the building.”

“When staff evacuated the building, the doors were all closed and it never escaped,” he added. “We measured outside the building and it wasn’t at a high enough level to be a concern. There were no injuries, just the evacuation of the building.”

Burns said there was no need to evacuate the area, beyond the building in question.

Crews wrapped up at the scene around 8 p.m. on Tuesday (Oct. 30).

Surrey RCMP Corporal Elenore Sturko told the Now-Leader that officers were only on scene to assist the fire department and secure the area, “so people don’t run into a situation with noxious vapours or anything like that.”

Ammonia is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death. Inhalation of lower concentrations can cause coughing, and nose and throat irritation.

In October 2017, three men died following a leak of the gas at a rink in Fernie. The case is believed to be the first fatal ammonia leak in Canada.

homelessphoto

(Photo: Google Maps)



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram and follow Amy on Twitter

Just Posted

Fire destroys home in Surrey

Crews called at 3 a.m. Sunday for a residential house fire on the 12000-block of 100 Avenue

Alzheimer’s Society launches helpline

Toll-free phone line available for people with dementia and their caretakers

Art show to be held at White Rock’s Jan’s on the Beach

Art to be displayed until the end of December

New detox centre opens in South Surrey

WhiteRock EHN opened in response to opioid crisis

Hells Angels on scene after body found in Maple Ridge

Body was discovered beneath the Golden Ears Bridge

Mountie left with ‘significant’ injuries after driver attempts to flee traffic stop

Richmond RCMP are looking for a dark coloured Mercedes Benz

B.C. asking for tips on ‘dirty money’ in horse racing, real estate, luxury cars

Action follows a Peter German report on money laundering in B.C. casinos

Canadian dead more than a week after plane crash in Guyana: Global Affairs

Global Affairs said it couldn’t provide further details on the identity of the Canadian citizen

Children between 6 and 9 eligible for $1,200 RESP grant from province

BC Ministry of Education is reminding residents to apply before the deadline

Victoria spent $30,000 to remove John A. Macdonald statue

Contentious decision sparked controversy, apology from mayor

Privacy concerns over credit card use for legal online pot purchases

Worries follow privacy breaches at some Canadian cannabis retailers

Vancouver Police look for man in connection to ‘sexually motivated’ assault

Woman says man followed her into an apartment building

NEB approves operating pressure increase to repaired Enbridge pipeline

The pipeline burst outside of Prince George on Oct. 9, now operating at 85 per cent

Most Read