Skip to content

Hunt for shot black bear continues in Surrey

A black bear shot on Friday may now be dead, as a farmer's gun shot may have hit an artery. The bear killed livestock in Surrey.
A young black bear recovers in a cage after being trapped in the 9400 block of 173a.

Conservation officers now think a bear shot in Tynehead Friday may be dead, a result of bleeding out from a bullet strike to an artery.

B.C. Conservation Officer Jack Trudgian attended a residence near 173 Street and 96 Avenue after reports an adult black bear killed a goat and injured a llama.

The owner of the livestock leveled a 22-caliber rifle and shot the bear in the shoulder, usually not enough of a weapon to slow the animal down much.

However, Trudgian observed there was a lot of blood at the site, and now figures the farmer may have severed an artery.

Which means conservation officers may now be looking or a bruin that has already died.

"At first I'd say that's a slim chance to none," Trudgian said. "Now, I realize that's a good possibility."

Meantime, on Tuesday another large black bear was caught in the trap of conservation officers.

The four-year-old bear, weighing about 200 pounds, was tranquilized and will be relocated, maybe somewhere around Harrison Lake.

Trudgian said there are a fair amount of bear out this season potentially for a few reasons.

A long, cold winter which has suddenly turned warm means the male bears are getting cozy with sows.

They are getting the young bears out of the way, which are often wandering into neighbourhoods.

In addition, bears at this time of year are looking for food.

"We're getting more bear calls in Surrey, Burnaby and Langley than we get on the North Shore, and the North Shore is usually the one that generates all the calls," Trudgian said Tuesday. "People (in Surrey) just aren't used to seeing them, and now we're realizing this place does have bears."

Anyone who sees a bear, do not approach it, but let it know you're there.

"Never run from any dangerous wildlife," he said. "Just back away, leave him alone and let him do his thing."

On Saturday, a young bear was found up a tree near 168 Street and 84 Avenue, but it was determined that it wasn't the same animal, so it was left alone.

Conservation officers will set another trap and see what happens for a week. If there are no calls of complaints, they may assume he's dead.

Anyone who sees the injured bear is asked to call 1-877-952-7277.