During the month of August, the City of Surrey sent notices to homeowners of 175 illegal suites in East Clayton. Owners have six months to comply. (File photo)

Clayton suites need to be ‘legalized immediately’ says Landlord BC

Housing association and Landlord BC urge City of Surrey to consider parking permit program

The city is being urged by two more groups to axe its plan to decommission illegal suites in East Clayton.

On Thursday, the BC Non-Profit Housing Association (BCNPHA) and Landlord BC issued a release urging the city to reconsider its decision. So far, the City of Surrey has ordered 175 homeowners to remove illegal suites.

This comes after a petition that has garnered 2,200 signatures was launched against the city’s move. A group has also formed, said to be made up of tenants and home owners, who are against the decision.

See also: Surrey cracks down on illegal suites in Clayton

See also: Crackdown on illegal suites in Clayton immoral, says Surrey landlord

“This is a watershed moment,” said Landlord BC CEO David Hutniak. “The density model in Clayton Heights is the model for the future so there is a certain irony that instead of focusing on housing Surrey families, we’re focusing on their cars. These secondary suite units need to be legalized immediately and the community needs to stop the finger-pointing and place people before cars.

“LandlordBC looks forward to working with all stakeholders to find appropriate solutions including enhanced transit and growth in new purpose-built rental housing,” he added.

The two groups say they met with Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner last week to discuss alternative ways to deal with the issue and agreed to a number of approaches. According to the press release, that included the need to continue advocating for better transit infrastructure and investments in the neighbourhood, re-examining a residential parking permit program, reinforcing the need to better utilize on-site parking and limiting the number of cars per household that can park on-street, and working together to build new purpose built market and non-market rental housing.

Mayor Linda Hepner was not immediately available for comment.

BCNPHA CEO Kishone Roy said it’s important to “work together to ensure we protect our existing supply of rental housing” in the midst of an affordable housing crisis, “most of which is found in the secondary market.”

“For the first time in a generation, we have all three levels of government eager to partner with the community housing sector to meet existing and future affordable housing demand, so real solutions to the affordable housing crisis are on the way,” Roy added.

More to come.

See also: Surrey Council asks staff to work with tenants in illegal Clayton suites

See also: HOME SUITE HOME: Surrey woman running non-profit says suite crackdown ‘cruel, unrealistic’



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Amy on Twitter

Just Posted

Surrey looks to target illegal dumpers with surveillance cameras

Since 2007, illegal dumping has cost the City of Surrey more than $8.5 million dollars

Peacock trapping to commence in early September, says City of Surrey

Since plan approved in June, bylaw has focused on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Downtown Surrey BIA announces all-candidates meetings

BIA plans three events for civic candidates this September, ahead of the Oct. 20 election

Pauline Greaves joins mayoral race in Surrey

Greaves says she will run as an independent, but ‘joining a slate is under consideration’

Retired teacher Julia Poole to run for Surrey school board

Poole says her passion is to ‘find new and different ways of engaging at-risk students and those who are physically and mentally challenged’

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

RCMP nab prolific car thief after month-long, B.C.-wide search

A province-wide warrant was issued for Brian Robert Stephan in June for a litany of offences

Court sides with developer in Jumbo ‘substantially started’ dispute

Resort developer successfully argues 2014 decision that halted the project was unfair

Canada’s tax system unfairly favours wealthy, poll of CRA auditors suggests

Four of every five respondents think loopholes and tax credits built into the system benefit the rich

Banff’s Sunshine ski resort upset with proposed guidelines from Parks Canada

The plan would allow for more visitors but wouldn’t let Sunshine build additional facilities

Conditions improve for battling northwest B.C. wildfires, minister says

‘Self-evacuated’ people fleeing smoke advised to go home

Most Read