The Surrey Board of Trade has announced the winners of the second annual Surrey Women in Business Awards held on March 9 at the Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel.
More than 300 people attended the event, sponsored by the LaLiberté Investment Team at Dundee Wealth.
Featured keynote speaker was Launi Skinner, former CEO of Starbucks USA, COO of 1-800-GOT-JUNK, and now CEO of First West Credit Union.
The judging panel reviewed the careers of the nominees and based their decisions on their work in Surrey, business acumen, leadership skills, approach to a balanced lifestyle and community involvement.
The 2011 winners are:
• Entrepreneur Category – Sponsored by A.S. Bubber & Associates : Lorraine Duclos, PDQ Post Group Inc.
• Professional Category – sponsored by Simon Fraser University: Karen L. Baillie, Laurel Place
• Corporate Category – Sponsored by IRLY Distributors: Heather Bell, Nav Canada
• Leadership Category – Sponsored by the Law Firm of Hamilton Duncan Armstrong & Stewart: Jonquil Hallgate, Surrey Urban Mission
• Not-for-Profit Category – Sponsored by Whalley Printers: Beth Barlow, Surrey Libraries
This year, the board of trade created a new Community Achievement Award to recognize a woman in Surrey who has given back to the community but usually goes unrecognized for her contribution.
Karla Pearson is the inaugural recipient.
Pearson’s contributions to the community include work on the Surrey Civic Treasures Awards, the Stand Up for the Arts campaign and the Cultural Diversity Awards.
She has been instrumental in supporting the Surrey Children’s Festival, the Mayor’s Charity Ball, the Community Leader Awards and the Surrey Board of Trade.
She has also provided ongoing support to the Surrey Food Bank, the Centre for Child Development and the Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation.