The vice-president of the Search and Rescue Society of B.C. has responded to allegations that the group is inappropriately asking for donations on North Shore Rescue’s behalf.
“SARBC believes that North Shore Rescue’s claim is baseless,” Glen Redden said Thursday. “North Shore Rescue needed to fight this in the media in hopes that the damage done to SARBC will stop us from being able to mount a defence.”
In a civil claim filed earlier this week, North Shore Rescue claims it has been receiving complaints from Metro Vancouver residents about “aggressive” phone calls asking for money, “wrongfully believing that these calls were made or authorized by North Shore Rescue.”
North Shore Rescue says it does not, and has not ever, had a telephone fundraising campaign, nor does it use paid volunteers as the society does. It says the society has never assisted its members with any search, nor has the society been asked to campaign on its behalf. Its only contribution to North Shore Rescue in the past year, it says, has been two cheques totalling $250.
“How can North Shore Rescue claim they know nothing about us?” Redden asked, calling North Shore Rescue’s claims that it has never heard of the society “dubious at best.”
The society conducts two telephone campaigns a year, he said, and makes it clear they are fundraising for themselves only.
None of the allegation has been proven in court.