Parole board deems Brian Abrosimo too dangerous to be let out

Abrosimo said the 'monster' is tamed but board disagrees. Abrosimo kidnapped and sexually assaulted Langley girl in 2004.

Brian Abrosimo seen here in a very dated photo was denied parole recently

A B.C. parole board has concluded that Brian Abrosimo is likely to seriously harm someone if he is let out of jail at this time.

In 2006, Abrosimo, 52, was sentenced to 14 years in prison, followed by a 10-year supervision order for abducting an 11-year-old Langley girl from a rural Aldergrove road.

In August 2004, he used his van to knock down two children who were riding bicycles along 256 Street, kidnapping the 11-year-old girl, taping her eyes and mouth and driving her to Surrey where he sexually assaulted her.

She got out of the van and ran off and she ran to a nearby home.

Her friend was left behind in a ditch, with cuts, bruises and a broken wrist, watching the van disappear.

Abrosimo was also convicted of handcuffing and gagging a sex-trade worker before violently assaulting and raping her the month prior to the abduction of the Langley girl.

On July 16, the parole board voted to detain Abrosimo until the end of his sentence in 2020, concluding that “there is no supervision programs that would protect the community adequately from the risk that you present at this time.”

A psychological risk assessment done on Abrosimo on June 2, concluded that he is impulsive and has a ‘very high risk to reoffend, both generally and with sexual violence.’

The parole board noted that the emotional damage Abrosimo has inflicted on his victims is permanent and devastating.

The girl’s family urged the parole board to keep Abrosimo behind bars forever.

At the hearing, Abrosimo told board members that he attributed his actions to his addiction to meth and the “monster within.”

He assured them he would never use drugs again and that “the monster is dead.”

But the board found his observations to be naive and optimistic. In December 2013, he punched another offender in the face in an unprovoked attack.

At the parole hearing, Abrosimo revealed that when he snatched the girl in 2004, he had actually intended to keep her for a day or so.

Prior to abducting the girl he had altered the appearance of his van, placed a mattress in it. There were handcuffs, bolt cutters and a handgun in the van at the time of the kidnapping.

Prior to the crime, he was frequenting crack houses, exchanging money for sex.

Abrosimo’s criminal history dates back to 1986, and includes impaired driving, making threats and using violence to gain compliance from victims.

In 1992, he gagged and raped his former girlfriend. At one point, her children were present.

Abrosimo was convicted of that crime in 1995 and received a two-year sentence. After being released on full parole a year later, he was arrested for firing a gun multiple times at a man.

In 2003, while high on drugs, he threatened to shoot a police officer and himself. He claimed to have a gun but was, in fact, in possession of a stapler.

In 2004, before the kidnapping  and sexual assault of the Langley girl, he went back to the home of his ex-wife and assaulted her, allegedly attempting to rape her again.

Abrosimo suffered a brain injury during a jail riot in 2008. But, since birth, he has had limited cognitive abilities and low intelligence.

In his sentencing report, the court learned that Abrosimo was sent to a special needs school where it is alleged he was physically and sexually abused.

In 2010, he tried to sue the Attorney General, saying he was being harshly treated during his incarceration and that his life had been threatened.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: One injured in shooting on South Surrey-Langley border

Shots reported near 194 Street and 34 Avenue, burned-out vehicle found in 18100-block of 12 Avenue

PHOTOS: South Surrey skunk family photo earns honourable mention in BC SPCA contest

Winners of society’s latest wildlife photography contest announced

Surrey wrestler Jason Bains receives four-year suspension for using banned substance

Queen Elizabeth Secondary grad tests positive for steroid Turinabol, silver national medal removed

COVID-19 exposures reported at four more Surrey schools

Fraser Health has created a new webpage listing COVID-19 cases in schools

UPDATED: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Peace Arch Hospital

Provincial health officer says outbreak is in the facility’s rehab unit

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Record-breaking 165 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed in B.C. in 24-hour period

Fifty-seven people are in hospital battling the novel coronavirus

B.C. teachers file Labour Relations Board application over COVID-19 classroom concerns

The application comes as B.C.’s second week of the new school year comes to a close

Young Canadians have curtailed vaping during pandemic, survey finds

The survey funded by Heart & Stroke also found the decrease in vaping frequency is most notable in British Columbia and Ontario

Report raises questions about COVID outbreak that killed 25 seniors at Langley Lodge

CEO defends leaked document that’s igniting queries about BC’s most deadly COVID outbreak

PHOTO: RCMP escort beaver across busy Chilliwack road

Motorists had to exercise patience as the slow-moving creature crossed several lanes of traffic

B.C.’s COVID-19 economic recovery plan: Top 5 things you need to know

Jobs training, tax incentives for employers to hire staff and more

March to protect old growth, stop industrial logging coming to B.C. Legislature

Organizers say they want to give frontline communities a bigger say in nearby logging

B.C. releases details of $1.5B economic recovery plan, $660M in business tax incentives

Economic plan includes support for employers, as well as training for workers

Most Read