The officer charged in the shooting death of South Surrey 20-year-old Hudson Brooks has been ordered to stand trial – news that is music to the ears of his mother.
“We’re just elated,” Jennifer Brooks told Peace Arch News Thursday, hours after learning the case against Const. Elizabeth Cucheran is headed to B.C. Supreme Court.
“I’m so happy, so thankful… for everybody who stood up for Hudson, marched for Hudson. It takes a village to fight for a child and that’s what our village did.
“We can’t have Hudson, but at least we have hope. One more step to peace.”
Cucheran is charged with aggravated assault and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with Hudson’s July 2015 death outside of the South Surrey RCMP detachment.
A preliminary inquiry to determine if there was enough evidence against Cucheran wrapped up in Surrey Provincial Court Thursday morning with word it would proceed to B.C. Supreme Court, Brooks told PAN. The proceedings began in early November and had been scheduled through Dec. 21.
There is a ban on publication of any evidence presented.
Brooks said she attended court every day of the inquiry – but it wasn’t easy.
“There was a lot of times I had to leave,” she said. “I was trying not to look at her (Cucheran) because it’s just too hard.”
Regardless, Brooks said she will continue her vigilance as the case moves forward.
“No matter how hard it is, we’ve been there. We are not giving up.”
Brooks also shared her relief and gratitude with the court decision in a post to the Justice for Hudson Facebook page.
According to information online, Cucheran’s next appearance is set for Feb. 14, 2019 in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster.