Missing Women Inquiry gets six more months

Extension granted to June for probe of police delays in stopping serial killer

Former Attorney General Wally Oppal is head of the Missing Women Inquiry.

The provincial government has extended the Missing Women Inquiry by an extra six months.

The decision gives Commissioner Wally Oppal – who had asked for an extra year – until next June 30 to deliver his findings on why it took so long to catch serial killer Robert Pickton.

The inquiry had been supposed to report by the end of this year but formal hearings only began Oct. 11 in Vancouver.

Months of further testimony are expected, including evidence from senior Vancouver Police Department (VPD) and RCMP officers.

Attorney General Shirley Bond said the six-month extension should mean only an “incremental” increase in the $2.5-million in provincial funding committed for the inquiry so far.

The VPD has been accused of failing to properly investigate reports of sex trade workers who went missing from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside or to act on advice that one or more serial killers were hunting prostitutes there.

RCMP officers will be questioned on how it took until 2002 to catch Pickton, even though he was charged with attempting to murder a prostitute on his Port Coquitlam farm in 1997, and why they didn’t act on Pickton’s offer to search the farm in 2000.

Provincial Crown officials may testify on their decision to drop charges in the 1997 incident.

Several women vanished in the five years between the 1997 attack and Pickton’s ultimate arrest, including all six of the women he was ultimately convicted of murdering.

Much of the testimony so far has been from relatives of the victims, experts on prostitution and activists or workers from the Downtown Eastside.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Task force brainstorms on support for Semiahmoo homeless community

Community service providers gather to discuss options for housing, income safety and more

Two people reportedly sent to hospital after two-vehicle collision in Surrey

Collision happened on the 16500-block of 64 Avenue

Surrey tells Uber to cease operations in city, but company ‘respectfully’ declines

Ridesharing company told to stop operating within the city by 9 p.m. Jan. 24

South Surrey couple donates $250K to students in honour of late son

Joseph Chung Scholarship Fund helps out 100 post-secondary students

Surrey RCMP investigate report of explosion at home

‘Emotionally elevated’ person taken ‘safely’ into custody: police

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

Man clings to roof of car driving along busy road in Maple Ridge

The man was also seen jumping on the vehicle

B.C. VIEWS: New coronavirus outbreak an important reminder

Walking the line between cautious and alarmist

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

Most Read