Man guilty of sexually assaulting 12-year-old

Surrey's Antonio Daponte broke into Coquitlam girl's bedroom in 2009.

A Surrey man has been found guilty of breaking into a 12-year-old girl’s bedroom and sexually assaulting her two years ago.

Antonio Eduardo Daponte was convicted in New Westminster Supreme Court on Tuesday (Nov. 1).

The 45-year-old was charged with aggravated sexual assault and breaking and entering in connection to the May 2009 attack in Coquitlam.

There is a court imposed publication ban on anything that would identify the victim.

At the time of the incident, police believed Daponte snuck into the girl’s room in the early morning hours, assaulted her and fled through a window when she screamed.

The crime put the community on edge as the RCMP initially didn’t know whether the attack was random. After his arrest, it was determined the suspect was known to the victim’s family.

Daponte is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 12.

 

Just Posted

Surrey mayor appoints his Safe Surrey Coalition to police transition committee

McCallum dissolved the city’s public safety committee last week in favour of the new committee

Surrey council approves modular housing projects for homeless after lengthy hearing

Vote comes after three-hour-long public hearing over supportive housing projects in Whalley, Guildford

Rollover crash in South Surrey

One person airlifted following incident near 40 Avenue and 160 Street

‘You don’t want to miss’ the fresh fruit, vegetables at upcoming Cloverdale Market Days

First-of-the-season corn, microgreens, honey, freshly baked goods and much more

PHOTOS: Beach day in White Rock

Summer heat brings locals and tourists to the beach

VIDEO: Young couple found dead in northern B.C. had been shot, police say

Chynna Noelle Deese of the U.S. and Lucas Robertson Fowler of Australia were found along Highway 97

Hazmat incident closes down Lower Mainland street

One person is believed to be dead, police said

VIDEO: Man found dead near B.C. teens’ truck could be linked to a double homicide

RCMP said they are looking for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, of Port Alberni

Latest plan is to fly trapped fish by helicopter over Big Bar slide

Multi-pronged plan set in motion to freesalmon blocked by landslide in the Fraser River

Family of missing B.C. senior with dementia frustrated with situation, heartened by community support

Nine days since Grace was last seen the question remains: ‘How can an 86-year-old just disappear?’

Unsealed record suggests U.S. man convicted of murdering Vancouver Island couple left DNA on zip tie in 1987

William Talbott is set to be sentenced Wednesday in the murders of Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg

Okanagan Air Cadet challenges gender-exclusive haircut policy

Haircut regulation inspires challenge around gender identity

Pride flags stolen from Lower Mainland church

Went missing sometime Friday night, says Maple Ridge reverend

25 new wheelchair-accessible cabins open at Cultus Lake Provincial Park

Maple Bay Campground is now home to 25 new wheelchair friendly cabins, a first for BC Parks

Most Read