Cars were smashed and later torched during the June 15 Stanley Cup riot.

Charges approved against 25 alleged rioters

Most suspects face charges of participating in a riot and either mischief or break and enter.


Websites that sprang up to identify Stanley Cup rioters allege Surrey’s Alicia Price can be seen lighting a police car on fire at 7:35 of this video. Price now faces three charges, including arson.



Twenty-five alleged rioters have now been charged for their roles in the June 15 Stanley Cup riot in downtown Vancouver.

Nine of the accused in the first wave of charges are from Surrey, eight are from Vancouver, two each are from Burnaby and Maple Ridge, and one each are from Delta, Richmond, North Vancouver and Seattle.

All are charged with participating in a riot and nearly all are also charged with additional counts of either mischief or break and enter.

Three are also charged with arson – 21-year-old Delta resident Lincoln Kennedy Williams, Surrey’s Alicia Price, 22, and Burnaby’s Timothy Kwong, 30.

Vancouver Police allege Williams smashed the tail lights and window of a parked truck before helping set it on fire, while Price is accused of setting a police car on fire with a cigarette lighter. Both have no prior criminal record.

Mobeen Mohammed, 33, of Surrey, is the oldest accused rioter so far, while a 17-year-old juvenile, also from Surrey, is the youngest.

Rioters torched police cars and other vehicles and looted stores in downtown Vancouver after the Boston Bruins beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 7 of the Cup final.

Onlookers shot video and photos on cellphones and posted them on social media, fueling what has become a massive crowd-sourced police investigation.

“We are very encouraged by the approval of these 61 charges and we will continue to work closely with the special prosecution team as even more charges are expected in the coming days and weeks,” said  Insp. Les Yeo, who leads the Integrated Riot Investigation Team.

The police reports on each suspected rioter are all over 500 pages long.

VPD officials have called the night of mayhem the largest crime spree in B.C. and say several hundred suspects could ultimately be prosecuted.

Dozens came forward and confessed after being outed on social media.

Police, aided by a U.S. lab, have analyzed vast amounts of video evidence and photos, building an image database that can link a suspect to multiple crime scenes on the night of the riot.

The VPD says that methodical approach is being used to ensure those responsible face the most severe charges possible.

The VPD recommended 163 charges against 60 people in late October, but more charge approvals by Crown may be pending.

Those charged in Surrey include: Emmanuel Alviar, 20; Sean Burkett, 18; Richard Dorosh, 18; Kelly Johnson, 20; Anthony Larsen, 18; Dylan Long, 19; Mobeen Mohammed, 33; Alicia Price, 22; and a 17-year-old youth who cannot be named.

 

Charges now approved

Just Posted

Cloverdale Toastmasters celebrate 25 years of learning and laughter

Cloverdale club is a high achieving, yet laid-back Toastmasters group

McCallum’s canal pitch took Surrey councillors by surprise

City government has more important issues pressing than building a canal, councillors say

Crime Stoppers urges Lower Mainland residents to check these 9 safety items every night

Home security tips demonstrated at Cloverdale house on Wednesday

Surrey RCMP conducting drug-related search warrant

Traffic closed in both directions on 128th Street, between 64th and 66th Avenue

Queen Elizabeth students hit $100K in donations to Surrey Hospital Foundation

Secondary students have been raising funds for a decade through the Roots & Rhythms event

VIDEO: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ to be re-released with new footage

‘Avatar’ holds global box office record at $2.788 billion, while ‘Endgame’ stands at $2.743 billion…

B.C. teen killed by falling tree near Victoria

Second youth also injured in freak incident during field trip at Camp Barnard near Sooke

Elias Pettersson wins Calder Trophy as NHL’s top rookie

Vancouver forward first Canuck to win award since Pavel Bure in 1992

FVRD chair calls B.C. incineration plan for Philippines waste ‘disturbing’

Metro Vancouver ‘uniquely capable’ of safely disposing of waste coming back to Canada, say officials

VIDEO: Acknowledging skeptics, finance minister vows to build Trans Mountain project

Bill Morneau said he recognizes ‘huge amount of anxiety’ in Calgary over future of oil and gas sector

Shovels could be in the ground on Trans Mountain by September, CEO says

Ian Anderson points to weeks likely required for NEB to reinstate 2016 regulatory record

Scorpion gives birth after hitching ride in B.C. woman’s luggage

A Vancouver woman inadvertently brought the animal home from a trip to Cuba

RCMP allows officers to grow beards

Members can now wear beards and goatees, as long as they’re neatly groomed

Girl, 10, poisoned by carbon monoxide at B.C. campsite could soon return home

Lucille Beaurain died and daughter Micaela Walton, 10, was rushed to B.C. Children’s Hospital on May 18

Most Read