Boy killed by falling tree (with VIDEO)

A 15-year-old boy has succumbed to injuries sustained after being struck by a tree near Clayton Heights Secondary.



A 16-year-old boy has died after being struck by a tree near Clayton Heights Secondary.

At 2:24 p.m. Friday, emergency crews were called to a wooded area by the school, at 6965 188 St.

They found the boy in serious condition after being struck by a tree, which toppled during a wind storm.

Firefighters initiated “first responder protocols” according to Deputy Surrey Fire Chief Larry Thomas. Fire crews continued medical assistance on route to hospital.

However, the boy succumbed to his injuries once he had arrived at the hospital.

Surrey School District spokesperson Doug Strachan said Friday the final bell had gone and kids were heading home.

They had been warned to stay away from treed areas because of the high winds.

Strachan said extra counselling would be available to kids when they return to school on Monday and that the school’s website would be updated with pertinent information.

Fire crews were incredibly busy on Friday as winds and rains took down trees, which in turn knocked out power.

More than 12,000 homes were without power in the Surrey area on Friday afternoon.

 

 

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

United Nations designates Surrey a ‘Tree City’

Surrey is one of 59 cities in the world to receive the designation

Surrey RCMP looking for missing boy, age 14

Brayden Ritchat, 14, last seen in the 10800-block of 141st Street in Whalley on Feb. 21

Lyn Lay calls it a day after 23 years of work at Surrey Arts Centre

‘I’ll still be working in the non-profit sector with the Youth Arts Council,’ she says

Surrey reduces cab business licence fees to match ride-hailing industry

Meantime, Surrey Board of Trade petition asks government to remove ‘archaic’ taxi boundaries

PHOTOS: Sold-out Surrey party raises $1.35M in ‘Celebration of Care’ at hospital

Hollywood-style event attracted close to 700 people to Aria Convention Centre

Protecting privacy key to stopping spread of COVID-19, B.C. health officials say

The number of coronavirus cases in B.C. remains at seven

Private clinics would harm ‘ordinary’ people using public system in B.C.: lawyer

Health Minister Adrian Dix announced in 2018 that the government would begin to fine doctors $10,000

B.C. terminates contract with hospice society refusing assisted death

Delta Hospice Society loses hospital service fund of $1.5 million

Child in hospital following fatal crash that killed father, sibling on B.C. highway

The single vehicle crash occured near Kamloops on Highway 5A

‘Die!’: Vernon councillor mailed death threat

This story contains information that might be sensitive to some readers

B.C. landlord can’t serve eviction notice because tenant is in jail

Homeowner baffled at arbitrator decision based on notice of hearing not being served properly

Hidden message connects Castlegar homeowners decades apart

The Rodgers family was surprised when a message fell out of the walls as they were renovating

Two B.C. men plead guilty to bus-terminal assault of man with autism in Ontario

Parmvir Chahil and Jaspaul Uppal due to be sentenced in June for aggravated assault

Most Read