B.C. man arrested in connection to violent home invasion

Six charges are being brought against a man arrested by Nanaimo RCMP

Update Oct. 30 3 p.m.:

RCMP officers in Nanaimo have made an arrest and brought six charges against a suspect in the violent home invasion in Sicamous on Oct. 24.

Crown counsel has approved charges against 37-year-old Robert Christopher Bomba in relation to the incident. The charges are: Forcible confinement, disguising the face while committing an offence, assault causing bodily harm, break and enter, failing to comply with probation and possession of stolen property over $5000.

Bomba also had two other outstanding warrants from the Sicamous RCMP, one for failing to comply with probation and one for driving while prohibited. He is being held in custody in Nanaimo.

The Sicamous RCMP’s investigation is ongoing. They say the home invasion involved two male suspects and one female.

Anyone with information on the home invasion is asked to contact the Sicamous RCMP at 250-836-2878 or CrimeStoppers.

Original story:

A violent crime against an exceedingly vulnerable victim was committed in Sicamous on Oct. 24 and the culprits remain at large.

A 59-year-old woman who is terminally ill with cancer was tied up, assaulted and robbed in a home invasion on Kappel Street early last Wednesday morning. Sicamous RCMP officers responded to the scene of the home invasion at 6:24 a.m. The officers were advised that two males armed with handguns had forced their way into the residence while a female suspect remained outside.

The victim suffered a fractured nose, stating to investigators that she was held at gunpoint and kicked in the face during the alleged assault. The victim was transported by BC Ambulance Service to receive medical treatment for her injuries.

After stealing two small safes, jewelry and prescription drugs, the suspects fled in a white Ford dually pickup truck. Sicamous RCMP eventually located the truck, which had been stolen from Armstrong overnight on Oct. 24.

In the hours immediately following the call to police, the RCMP Police Dog Service from Vernon along with Southeast District Air Services assisted in efforts to locate the suspects.

The day after the home invasion, the RCMP stated that although their investigation was in its early stages, they do not believe this was a random attack.

Anyone with information about the home invasion is asked to call the Sicamous RCMP at 250-836-2878 or CrimeStoppers.

Speaking to the Eagle Valley News via Facebook Messenger, the victim’s son said his mother is very shaken up and traumatized.

Related:UPDATE: GoFundMe campaign started for victim of Sicamous home invasion

She no longer feels safe in Sicamous and will be relocating to Cranbrook where she will be closer to family and to a hospital that can provide her cancer treatments.

“I don’t think she will feel safe anywhere for a while, but leaving the Sicamous area and starting over again will be the first step in a long recovery,” the victim’s son said.

The victim’s family has started a GoFundMe page in hopes of easing the financial burden the crime and the decision to move to Cranbrook has created.

“We have been putting her up in a hotel closer to the hospital since the attack to keep her away from the location of the attack,” the GoFundMe page reads.

“We have also had to replace all the medications the attackers stole. This is quickly working through any money we have and putting a strain on all of us.

“Living in a hotel is not ideal for her condition.”

The GoFundMe campaign had been live for one day and had raised $1,325 of its $5,000 goal at the Eagle Valley News’ press deadline.

The page can be viewed at: https://www.gofundme.com/help-sicamous-home-invasion-victim.

-With files from Martha Wickett


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Langley organizers invite special guest to Gone Country

Cancer fundraising, day-long concert sold out more than a month and a half ahead of Saturday’s event

South Surrey teacher selected for advanced Holocaust studies

Mark Figueira attended the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum program July 8-12

‘Kim’s Convenience’ keeps Surrey actor busy when not working as church pastor in Guildford

Award-nominated James Yi will again play shop owner at Surrey Arts Centre next winter

Olympic softball qualifier gets $150K boost from provincial government

2019 Americas Qualifier to be held in South Surrey from Aug. 25-Sept. 1

VIDEO: Wet weather kicks off Lower Mainland toad migration

Thousands of small western toads were making the trek from pond to woods

Pamela Anderson adds star power to B.C. Green Party town hall

Celebrity attended Nanaimo meeting with representatives from U.S.-based environmental group

Gas price inquiry questions Trans Mountain capacity, company denies collusion

The first of up to four days of oral hearings in the inquiry continue in Vancouver

Serious police incident unfolding at Sts’ailes near Agassiz

Small reserve near Agassiz surrounded by police vehicles, helicopter, ERT

‘Benzos’ and fentanyl a deadly cocktail causing a growing concern on B.C. streets

Overdoses caused by benzodiazepines can’t be reversed with opioid-overdose antidote naloxone

RCMP release sketch of suspect in SFU assault, appeal to witnesses who helped woman

The RCMP want to talk to two women who helped the victim after she got to the parking lot

Will you be celebrating national hotdog day with any of these crazy flavours?

The popularity of hotdogs spans generations, cultures

Former home of accused Penticton shooter vandalized

Ex-wife of man who is accused of murdering four people had her house vandalized

Survivor of near-drowning in B.C. lake viewing life through new eyes

“If I died that day, the baby wouldn’t know his dad,” said 31-year-old Mariano Santander-Melo.

Most Read