The Surrey Christmas Bureau (SCB) is now open for business – the business of making a brighter holiday for people facing financial hardship.
The SCB’s depot is located in Guildford at 14885 108 Ave. and is accepting registrations from families Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. until Dec. 4.
Eligible parents can pick out toys, games, stuffed animals, sports equipment and winter clothing for their children.
Grocery cards will also be distributed according to family size.
Qualifications for SCB assistance:
• A family must have children aged 18 or under;
• They must show government-issued photo ID;
• If receiving social assistance, you must bring a cheque stub or other proof;
• If not on assistance, you must show proof of all income over the last three months;
• Proof of residence in Surrey (phone bill, rent agreement, hydro, cable or gas bill) is needed;
• B.C. medical CareCards for all members of the family;
• All immigration papers and permanent residency cards.
The volunteer-run, non-profit charity is also hosting an Adopt-A-Family (AAF) program, which matches individuals, businesses and other organizations with a family in need that has children under the age of 18.
By becoming an AAF sponsor, donors agree to provide a Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as gifts for the family they are matched with.
The SCB is accepting private and corporate donations of money and new toys, and is seeking volunteers to sort toys, do deliveries and pick-ups, register families, work in the office and help with events.