In honour of Surrey’s varied Latin cultures, the Surrey Museum is hosting Discovery Saturday: Latin Fiesta on Saturday, Oct. 18 from 1 to 4 p.m. (all ages, by donation).
This colourful event is an opportunity for visitors to explore Latin music and dance performances, children’s take-home crafts, delicious traditional foods, and interactive displays hosted by local Latin community groups.
· Explore calaveras, catrinas and other Mexican arts and crafts with Neo Herrera.
· Discover the tastes of Latin American with El Corcal. Enjoy empanadas, pasteles, crispy tacos, tamales and sweets by donation.
· Performances run from 1:00pm-4:00pm, and include traditional Latin trovadors singers, Mexican folk dancers, and traditional Peruvian singers and dancers.
· Chat with Ana David, coordinator of ‘Latinos in Action’. Latinos in Action is local non for profit community group working towards Latin American community engagement in Surrey and unity.
· Meet with the Peruvian Cultural Society of BC to discover Peruvian art and culture.
The Surrey Museum is located at 17710-56A Avenue, Surrey; B.C. Hours of operation are Tuesdays-Fridays, 9:30am to 5:30pm; and Saturdays, 10:00am to 5:00pm. Closed Sundays, Mondays and Statutory Holidays. Admission is sponsored by the Friends of the Surrey Museum Society. For more information, call 604-592-6956. www.surrey.ca/heritage. Twitter: @ASurreyMuseum