It’s an environmentally-friendly and convenient way to start off the new year: taking your Christmas tree to get chipped, instead of consigning it to the dustbin, eventually winding up in a landfill.
Residents of Cloverdale have plenty of options nearby. There are a number of local tree chipping events planned after the holidays, and they’re all in support of worthwhile causes.
– Adams Road Elementary hosts its sixth annual tree chipping and bottle drive Saturday, Jan. 2 (10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.) at the school, 18228 68 Avenue. It’s by donation. There will be Langley Rivermen tickets by donation, while supplies last.
– Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary’s music department is hosting a community tree chip and bottle drive fundraiser Saturday and Sunday (Jan. 2 and 3) from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. both days, at the school parking lot: 6151 180 Street. Please come out and support the LTSS music department, accepting all bottle and pop cans for recycling. Tree chip by donation. Look for students in your neighbourhood canvassing for empty bottles and cans. The event directly benefits Grade 8-12 band students.
– Surrey Firefighters present a tree chip Saturday, Jan. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Newton Athletic Park, 7395 128 Street. All proceeds go to the Surrey Firefighters Charitable Foundation; 100 per cent of all money is used for programs within the City of Surrey.
– Tree chipping by donation at Cloverdale Athletic Park Saturday, Jan. 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to support the Surrey United Soccer Association They are also having a bottle drive.
– Cloverdale Catholic Elementary School is raising funds to update their classroom lighting and move towards more energy efficient, greener fixtures. To support the initiative, the school hosts a tree chipping and bottle drive event Saturday, Jan. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 17511 59 Ave. Suggested donation $5/tree.
– Fleetwood Park Secondary’s Dry Grad committee is hosting a tree chipping event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Jan. 2 at 7949-156 Street. There’s a bottle and clothing drive from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.