A relative watches as a young child is placed into the air ambulance following a scalding accident in Newton.

UPDATE: Surrey baby treated for burns and released

Child was being washed in a kitchen sink when it kicked on the hot water tap.



A three-month-old child has suffered severe scalding after a bathing accident in the bathroom of a Newton basement suite.

On Monday, at just about noon, emergency health services were called to the 6100-block 138 Street to a baby in distress.

Her mother was bathing the baby in the bathroom sink, when it kicked the hot water tap, sending scalding water onto its torso. The child suffered first and second degree burns.

The baby was airlifted from Surrey Public Market at about 12:30 p.m., was treated and later released.