Driver in road rage case to learn fate on Jan. 6

Brent Parent, charged in connection with the 16 Avenue death of Silas O'Brien, will be back in court Jan. 6

Brent Parent will learn his fate on Jan. 6, 2012.

The 42-year-old Langley man’s trial in the death of Silas O’Brien, 21, of Abbotsford, wrapped up on Tuesday in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster.

Parent pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death, dangerous driving causing death, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, and failure to stop at an accident with a vehicle.

The Crown dropped a charge of failing to remain at the scene of an accident because, as prosecutor Donna  Ballyk told the court on Nov. 4, the Crown could not prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt.

On March 13, 2008, O’Brien and two friends were travelling along 16 Avenue on their way to a border crossing that would take them to a U.S. airport for a flight to Hawaii.

The prosecution argued that Parent became enraged when he thought that the truck O’Brien was riding in had deliberately flashed its high beams at him. Parent, according to the Crown, first deliberately drove his vehicle into the truck carrying O’Brien and his friends, and forced it off the road and into a ditch, then returned to the scene of the accident where where O’Brien was run down.

Parent’s lawyer, Vincent Michaels, had earlier argued that the fatal collision occurred when Parent returned to the scene of the collision in the 25800 block of 16 Avenue in Aldergrove when it was an “unusually dark night with no ambient lighting” and that when the enraged young men from the truck that had landed in the ditch charged at Parent, he drove away without realizing he’d hit one of them.

Michaels said that O’Brien’s friends, Sam Dooley and Luke Stephen, were not reliable witnesses.

Parent said that he had no idea his vehicle had struck anyone, until he heard about the accident on the news the following morning.

— with files from Dan Ferguson