Surrey Board of Trade names Reporter publisher as president
The new team leading the Surrey Board of Trade will be formally inducted June 21 at its 48th annual general meeting and President’s Dinner.
Cloverdale Reporter publisher Jim Mihaly has been named president, but says he’s not planning to reinvent the wheel.
“I’m not looking at any major changes. What we need to look at is building on what we do best and review areas where we can improve to better serve our members,” he said Monday, noting one of the board’s greatest strengths is its advocacy. “A big part of a board of trade is having a strong voice...we are known for that, it says a lot about the work that we’ve done over the years.”
Also publisher of the Reporter's sister paper, the Surrey-North Delta Leader, Mihaly intends to continue a professional relationship with the other chambers of commerce in the city, including Cloverdale and South Surrey-White Rock.
Mihaly said he looks forward to working with an extremely strong team of directors that has also just been appointed.
The new directors are:
• Gerard Bremault – CEO, Centre for Child Development;
• Marlyn Graziano – publisher, The Now Newspaper;
• Chuck Keeling – executive director, stakeholder relations, Fraser Downs Racetrack & Casino;
• Tony Sandhu – business development manager, Community Savings Credit Union.
The annual elections also resulted in the following being re-elected to the Board of Directors:
• Mary-Lou McCausland – president, Surrey Academy of Music;
• Shirley Samujh – senior municipal relations advisor, TransLink;
• Bill Wehnert – vice-president, sales and marketing, Fraser Surrey Docks.
To attend the Surrey Board of Trade’s annual general meeting and dinner, register online at www.businessinsurrey.com
The keynote speaker for the event will be Jim Lightbody, vice-president of casino and community gaming, British Columbia Lottery Corporation, who will speak on the developing gaming marketplace in Surrey.
Presentations include the Children and Family Friendly Workplace Award and the Surrey Board of Trade – Junior Achievement of B.C. Youth Leaders of Today Mentorship Program.